The Great Flood of '06
The rains had finally ceased. The past few days had record breaking rainfall in the lower mainland. The sun was shining....okay, well it was. It had gone down hours ago and the moon had long since been out. It's Wednesday night at 8:30pm. I'm at Rob and IOna's house with Dan, when Dan's phone rings. IT's my cell phone (which i left at home), calling. Since we were just leaving, we let it ring, figuring that they'd leave a message. As we were walking home, it called again. Dan answers the phone and all i can hear is, "The house is flooding!!" Figuring, it was just the bathroom leak, yet again, i was not worried. The following statement got me into a panic, "It's four inches in the kitchen!!!" I ran all the way home. When I arrived, I opened the front door to a mirade of water. It was like the water had somewhere to go and it was onto my shoes. I ran upstairs to alert my landlord. I banged on the door repeatedly yelling, "theres a flood!!!!!" it was probably not the best responce to the situation as my landlord thought someone was trying to break into her house! Anywho, she turns off the hot water, from the hot water tank, since that was the source of the flood. That's right, burst hot water tank. MEanwhile, there's jenny scooping water into a bowl and wondering if her fish, Jaws, would survive if she let him loose. Dan and I wade through the mess and try to save our furniture (and everyone else's furniture; knowing full well that half of it belongs to other people). We use the landlord's wet vacuum to suck up all the water. Four or more hours later, we finally clean up the water that's on the linoleum. That leaves the water that soaked into the carpet, well, soaking in the carpet. The furniture is in the living room, piled as high as it can go. My room is a disaster as it was mostly affected by the floor (that went through the bathroom wall!!!). After the cleanup, we all crawl into bed. Its quiet...sorta. I hear this incessant, drip drip drip. By the time i got to the bathroom, it had flooded again. I Sent DAn to the landlords front door step to tell her to turn of the water. i cleaned up the mess. So needless to say, we have NO RUNNING WATER (hot or cold). And to top it all off, its two days later. we have cold water back, but about 10 machines in our house buzzing away to try and get the moisture out of the air. its enought to make a woman go crazy. NEEDLESS to say, we are shipping out for the weekend.....can't stay at home when there is mold growing and demolition underway. They are ripping out the lino and the carpets. fun fun! and all colin could say was, "hahahahaha....should i get you a rubber dingy?"

2 Comments:
AWESOME! LOL What a great story!
Love ya!
Michelle
heeheehee. well said, colin. well said.
Post a Comment
<< Home