Monday, January 16, 2006

Servanthood and the pursuit of Church

Yesterday, Pastor Sam talked about Servanthood. A few things he said have stuck with me. One, which is fairly prevalent at this point in time, would be, "When you are looking for a new church, you don't go looking for where the church can help you, or feed you or benefit you. You look for a church and ask, where can i help? If your gifts match up with the church than that is a good place for you!"
I don't want to get into whether or not this statement is right or not, but I want to focus on the fact that often we are self-centered in our pursuit of church. Rarely, if ever, do we ask if the new church we are attending will be best suited for our giftings and our place for service. I told Dan about this and he asked immediately, "So, where do your gifts fit in at Calvary?" To be honest, i didn't think that far ahead. I don't know. I think i need to get to know the church a bit more to find out. But i think my listening skills and previous work with youth will come in handy. I hope I can find a place to serve at Calvary and that my pursuit isn't just selfish. So know i find myself asking, "Where can i serve at Calvary Worship Centre?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home