Dave
It was one year ago in the wee hours of the morning, that our beloved friend Dave passed away. It has taken me a year to be able to understand just the beginning of what that means. For the past year I have berated myself and have felt like an awful friend, because I could not think of one specific memory of Dave. Everyone around me was telling stories, some I was familar with, but I could not own one for myself. I think I finally figured out why. Every time I saw Dave, it was the same thing. He was jolly (not in the Santa Clause, hohoho kinda jolly), but he was ultimately excited about life. It was as if every time he saw me, it was a brand new day and he couldn't be more excited about a new friend. It was his smile and warm demenor that melted my heart. I couldn't help but love the guy. His kindness always amazed me. Girls, you know that quote from "The problem with men." The one about how Chilvary is only there when others are around? I can't say that one is true for Dave. He always took those extra moments to share a smile or laugh or whatever you needed at that particular moment, even when no one was around to see it.
Tonight it hit me. Hard. I can't tell you what set me off, perhaps all the stress of life. I bawled like I haven't in a long time. For a few moments, i took time to appreciated those around me that I take for granted on a regular basis. I confronted my fear of others dying, if only for a brief second. As i bawled, Dan wrapped me in his arms and cried with me. (Which by the way, reminded me of something Dave would do, which made me bawl more). Then Dan asked, "If Dave were still alive today, what do you think he'd be doing right now?" Without skipping a beat, I said, "I bet ya he'd be with Toni just cuddling her and telling her how much he loves her." For some reason, that calmed my heart. I was able to compose myself. It was the knowledge that Dave was so full of love for others that I remember; his friends, his family; strangers. I was reminded of the impact of Dave's life on mine: He reminded me to take those few precious moments to just love someone that little extra bit, just to make them feel that extra bit special. To my brother in Christ----thank you for those few extra moments. They truely were, and will always be, special.
PS. The best part of waking up, is Folgers in you cup! (love ya Dave..it'll never get old!)
Tonight it hit me. Hard. I can't tell you what set me off, perhaps all the stress of life. I bawled like I haven't in a long time. For a few moments, i took time to appreciated those around me that I take for granted on a regular basis. I confronted my fear of others dying, if only for a brief second. As i bawled, Dan wrapped me in his arms and cried with me. (Which by the way, reminded me of something Dave would do, which made me bawl more). Then Dan asked, "If Dave were still alive today, what do you think he'd be doing right now?" Without skipping a beat, I said, "I bet ya he'd be with Toni just cuddling her and telling her how much he loves her." For some reason, that calmed my heart. I was able to compose myself. It was the knowledge that Dave was so full of love for others that I remember; his friends, his family; strangers. I was reminded of the impact of Dave's life on mine: He reminded me to take those few precious moments to just love someone that little extra bit, just to make them feel that extra bit special. To my brother in Christ----thank you for those few extra moments. They truely were, and will always be, special.
PS. The best part of waking up, is Folgers in you cup! (love ya Dave..it'll never get old!)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home