Weird Difficulties: The Term Christian
I am finding it really difficult to call Keyah a Christian. I'm not saying that Keyah isn't a Christian; by definition she is. But what I am saying is that i don't like the term. I'm still working through this one in my head, but here is what I have come up with so far. The term Christian seems so blah; churchy and religious if you will. It just doesn't seem to fit, neither with her or with what has just happened in her life. Equally, i don't like the term "gave her life to Christ" or "committed her life to Jesus." Its funny, but i like how she put it when she told me what happened. "I love Jesus." When I tell people this story, I tell them that Keyah loves Jesus. That fits with Keyah's character. The phrase is not swamped in religion and all the technicalities that comes with it. Its saturated with a relationship and all that comes with that. This girl is embarking on a journey. One that didn't start with a committment to Christ. It started long before that, with the questions, the desire, the uncertainty. This is partially why I'm frustrated with the linear view of Christianity. With that model, this girl would begin her journey with committment and will go from there. But with the spatial model, the questions, the desire, the uncertainty and the committment all move together and journey her to where she is now. She loves Jesus. When i asked Keyah about how she came to love Jesus, the story began with an event that happened nine years ago. God has always been calling this girl to him; even before the event that happened nine years ago. The key is that Keyah now acknowledges that she loves Jesus.
Keyah: The church yesterday celebrated your committment with applause. I celebrate with a permanent smile across my face. God is celebrating with a feast. The angels are dancing in heaven. Welcome to the family of God! You truely are my sister. I am so excited about the journey you are on. Remember: there will be hard times and good times. But through it all, God is with you. When you call on Jesus, all things ARE possible. Draw close to him, get to know him. Discover for yourself what being a "christian" looks like. Love Jesus with all your heart. Let him love you and hug you. I am happy that i can truely say, "see you later" rather than good-bye. I love ya girl! Let's keep celebrating your love for Jesus! AMAN!
Keyah: The church yesterday celebrated your committment with applause. I celebrate with a permanent smile across my face. God is celebrating with a feast. The angels are dancing in heaven. Welcome to the family of God! You truely are my sister. I am so excited about the journey you are on. Remember: there will be hard times and good times. But through it all, God is with you. When you call on Jesus, all things ARE possible. Draw close to him, get to know him. Discover for yourself what being a "christian" looks like. Love Jesus with all your heart. Let him love you and hug you. I am happy that i can truely say, "see you later" rather than good-bye. I love ya girl! Let's keep celebrating your love for Jesus! AMAN!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home