Is God failing?
Why is it that we as Christians beleive that "everything is gonna be alright?" as long as we believe in God? I must say that this is probably the biggest lie that we, as Christians, need to fight against. There are times when everything is not alright. The world is full of injustice...and it happens to both Christians and non-Christians. At C-21 last nite, i spent most of the nite trying to answer the age-old questions, "Why do bad things happen to good people?"Okay, well i knew that i couldn't answer that question, but at least trying to give a sufficient enough answer that would satisfy a hurting soul.
I think one of the biggest things that I am struggling with is injustice. Every day i meet with young people who have been hurt to the core of who they are. They have faced rape, physical/sexual/verbal abuse, alcoholic/drug addicted parents, lonliness, murderous rampages from siblings, neglect, gang violence etc. The majority of time, when i finally meet these kids, the emotional damage has been done. The hardest thing that i am finding is that I keep picturing these young people as little children in these horrendous situations. I see little girls being raped, children screaming as their parents are shot in a gang war, parents attacking little kids with emotionally damaging words. Then I picture them years later as they contemplate suicide, carefully drafting their note for those left behind. I see them being chased by siblings wielding a knife or parents with a weapon of choice to maim them or even kill them. These are the kids that are asking, "Where is God?"
Somehow the answer that God is beside you doesn't seem to suffice. Its not enough for them. One girl was crying the other day, "I just want to know that God loves me. I want to feel it. I want to feel that he is here with me. But i don't. I'm all alone." This broke my heart. Has God failed this little girl? Deep in my heart, I know he hasn't. But where is the comfort for this little girl who desperately needs to experience God's love tangiably?
God is speaking to me on this right now. Perhaps this is where the vessels of God come into play. I spoke to a girl last nite about God always being with us. Everyone else is just an added bonus. I think that is sometimes my role for these kids. I'm the extra added bonus that God has thrown in. I don't mean to sound pious or anything, that is not my intention. But that is something that God is instilling in my heart even as i write this. Iona Snair (what a wise woman, from www.lifeteams.ca) once explained that as she was reading the Bible, she found a verse about "because of the love we have experienced from God, we go out with that love to serve others." I know that without God loving me first, I would not be able to express that love to others. I guess in essence, God is giving us the ability to express his love to others-through our words and actions. My ministry purpose is "Listening to the heart of God, expressing it to others." I feel like that purpose is being accomplished as time progresses. These are his hands, his feet, his words, his love. I am merely his vessel to express these things to the kids facing injustice.
I think one of the biggest things that I am struggling with is injustice. Every day i meet with young people who have been hurt to the core of who they are. They have faced rape, physical/sexual/verbal abuse, alcoholic/drug addicted parents, lonliness, murderous rampages from siblings, neglect, gang violence etc. The majority of time, when i finally meet these kids, the emotional damage has been done. The hardest thing that i am finding is that I keep picturing these young people as little children in these horrendous situations. I see little girls being raped, children screaming as their parents are shot in a gang war, parents attacking little kids with emotionally damaging words. Then I picture them years later as they contemplate suicide, carefully drafting their note for those left behind. I see them being chased by siblings wielding a knife or parents with a weapon of choice to maim them or even kill them. These are the kids that are asking, "Where is God?"
Somehow the answer that God is beside you doesn't seem to suffice. Its not enough for them. One girl was crying the other day, "I just want to know that God loves me. I want to feel it. I want to feel that he is here with me. But i don't. I'm all alone." This broke my heart. Has God failed this little girl? Deep in my heart, I know he hasn't. But where is the comfort for this little girl who desperately needs to experience God's love tangiably?
God is speaking to me on this right now. Perhaps this is where the vessels of God come into play. I spoke to a girl last nite about God always being with us. Everyone else is just an added bonus. I think that is sometimes my role for these kids. I'm the extra added bonus that God has thrown in. I don't mean to sound pious or anything, that is not my intention. But that is something that God is instilling in my heart even as i write this. Iona Snair (what a wise woman, from www.lifeteams.ca) once explained that as she was reading the Bible, she found a verse about "because of the love we have experienced from God, we go out with that love to serve others." I know that without God loving me first, I would not be able to express that love to others. I guess in essence, God is giving us the ability to express his love to others-through our words and actions. My ministry purpose is "Listening to the heart of God, expressing it to others." I feel like that purpose is being accomplished as time progresses. These are his hands, his feet, his words, his love. I am merely his vessel to express these things to the kids facing injustice.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home