Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Postmodern Christianity/Church

There is a lot going on in my brain as of this moment. The majority of it has to do with the whole idea of church/Christianity/postmodernism and how they all fit together. I'm reading, "A New Kind of Christian," by Brian McLaren which has allowed me to contemplate these ideas in a safe manner. I guess these are things that I am working through. I will post more when i begin to understand the muddle that they are making in my brain. But basically, i think there must be more to church than what we have right now. I was at Peace Portal this past Sunday evening and the pastor was talking about prophecy etc. One thing that really struck me, is that no church that i have ever attended has properly used the gift of prophecy and/or tongues within a church service, including CLA. Okay, maybe i'm wrong. I do remember Immanuel CRC having people speak "words from God" when i was younger, but never under the name of prophecy. I really miss those times. I was commenting to a friend the other day that i miss having our "Call to Worship" include personal testimonies of what God has taught someone. Instead, we get regurgitated thoughts from some author or simply just words of Scripture. There is nothing wrong with this, but i do miss the opportunity for the Spirit to speak through the worship leaders about what is going on in their lives. There is something so encouraging about being naked before your church family and saying, "This is something i am struggling with and this is how God has encouraged me." Or even, "This is how God has encouraged/challenged me this week." I think we've missed out on great words from God since we have taken that out of our church services. Anywho, all in all, I think we are missing something that the early church had--the spirit of God MOVING ACTIVELY through members of the church community. I say that entire sentence, because i know that the spirit is moving in our church. But where is the opportunity for the spirit to move in "non-clergy" members. Read 1 Corinthian 14/15 and how it talks about prophecy within the church. We need to have 3 members stand up and share...or even have tongues interpreted. (the sad part is, that i have only once heard one person within my church say that they have spoken in tongues, but never for the benefit of the church..only for personal use). All in all, we are missing something. I am unsure of what it is as of yet, but i'll keep ya posted. Until next time...good nite!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home